How often should air ducts be cleaned?
We’ll answer that with another question: What does an air duct do? Air ducts are connected with your HVAC system as the pathway for the cooled and heated air to travel from room to room through your home. Think of the air duct system in your home is the circulatory system, like your blood vessels in your body. The air duct in each room is located in the ceiling or behind the walls, which is why we may not think about regular cleaning.
How do you tell if your ducts need cleaning?
Summertime is the time to lay out by the pool, cookout on the grill, and be a little lazy. It is also the time we depend on our HVAC system keeping the house cool on those hot days. If we aren’t doing our duty to make sure the filter is changed and the air ducts are clean, our HVAC system may not work as good as it should, and worse, could be making us sick
Here are 5 indications that are telling you air duct and vents need to be cleaned.
- Air Filter Hasn’t Been Changed In Ages: If you can’t remember the last time your HVAC filter was changed, then it is probably overdue. You can skip a month every now and then and not worry about damaging the air duct equipment and system, but more than 2 months is treading on dangerous. All year long, but especially in the summer, that air filter is working 24/7 and it needs a replacement every 30 days. It gets filled with debris, dust, pet dander, pollen, and other time of the year that require constant HVAC use, the air filter is responsible for airborne pollutants. Once it is full, it isn’t able to collect more, so it begins to reject that stuff, which goes back in the air ducts and out the vents. From there, you’re breathing it in.
- Layers of Dust on Registers & Vent Covers: Maybe you dust every week, but there is a good chance you are not dusting the air duct in every room, and if you were to go look at them right now, you’d see dust built up on the registers & vent covers. You probably would see extraordinary levels of dust nearby too, making you question if you forgot to dust that room.
- HVAC System Has Mold Around It: While dust can affect your family’s health, mold is worse. It can grow at an exacerbated pace and spread fast throughout your house by way of air ducts. It can aggravate allergies, cause respiratory problems, and more. Maybe you don’t see any sign of mold around or on the vent covers, but you can be certain that there is inside the HVAC system. If you notice mold around your indoor air conditioning unit, it’s important to take air duct cleaning will get upside your air ducts and get that dust, mold and other irritants out.
- Inconsistent Airflow Room to Room: If one bedroom is cooler than the others, or the dining room is hot while the open flow to the living room finds it cooler in there, you probably have a dirty air duct. A properly working HVAC system should be delivering reasonably consistent airflow room to room.
- Noisy Air Ductwork: Every HVAC system has its own sounds and quirks, but when you hear an odd sound coming from an air duct, there is a good chance it is the air duct is dirty and the air isn’t flowing as it should. The accumulation of debris and dust has maxed out and the air isn’t getting through as designed. Time to call a professional air duct cleaning surface before that back up of dirt and debris stops the entire HVA system.
Can dirty air ducts make you sick?
Definitely! A dirty environment in the home happens by way of dirty air ducts, and there are consequences that can come and go and some that are lifelong when it comes to the health of your family. Some symptoms that your health is being compromised by dirty air ducts are an increase in allergies and nasal congestion, feeling continuously lethargic and more.
Can I clean air ducts myself?
Yes, but you should have a general knowledge of how air duct cleaning is done for it to be effective. Proper air duct cleaning requires the right tools like a high-powered vacuum cleaner with rotary brushes. While you can do it yourself with your household vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment, you probably aren’t going to get as far into each air duct as a professional air duct cleaning service can.
Is Air Duct Cleaning worth it?
Unfortunately, the air duct cleaning industry isn’t governed by any official body. There is the National Air Duct Cleaner’s Association, which has set a level of standards that honest, legitimate air duct companies follow. To know you’re getting a quality air duct cleaning process, it is important to use one that is a member of The National Air Duct Cleaner’s Association (NADCA), meaning they follow the techniques this organization has researched, tested, and recommends.
The air duct system in your home is an important part of your family’s health and wellbeing. By keeping them clean, you’re keeping the air everyone breaths cleaner and healthier. With this cleaner air, you’ll have fewer medical issues, fewer medical bills, and a happier family. Need air duct cleaning in Charlotte, NC? Call (704) 837-0929 today!