HVAC FAQ Information
- What size HVAC system should I have?
The capacite is calculated by doing a load on your house where we measure the footprint of the house, the windows, insulation etc and input it into a program that will give us the size furnace and air conditioner we will use.
- How is the efficiency of heating and cooling equipment measured?
For a furnace the least efficient would be 80% meaning 80% is used for heating and 20% is vented to the outside. The 95% furnace is one of the most efficient.
- How can I increase the efficiency and life of my home’s heating and cooling systems?
The best way to increase the life of your furnace and air conditioner is having maintenance done twice a year and keeping the filters changed.
- How much better is a system with more capacity?
More capacity does not make your system better. You need a properly sized furnace and air conditioner.
- How long should my system run in a cycle?
This will vary by the outdoor temperature however your air conditioner needs to run long enough to dehumidify your home.
- How long should I keep my system running for?
The longer the air conditioner runs the better and this again can depend on the outdoor temperature.
- What air temperature should my air conditioner produce?
You will see a temperature difference of 18 to 20 degree difference of the air being pulled in by your returns and the air from your vents for the air conditioner and 40 to 50 degrees for the furnace.
- What temperature should I set my thermostat?
Whatever your comfort zone is for heating and cooling.
- What are the advantages of a programmable thermostat?
Programmable thermostats are a great way to save energy by setting up the schedule so the air conditioner and furnace do not run at their normal set temperatures when you are not home.
- How often should I replace my filters?
The frequency on how often you change the filters can vary from house to house however you should check your filter once a month to see if it needs to be replaced.
- What maintenance should I do on my air conditioner?
One thing you can do is a fresh water rinse with a hose on the coil of your air conditioner.
- How often should I have maintenance done on my air conditioner?
You should have maintenance done twice a year a summer and winter check on the air conditioner and furnace.
- What should I check for prior to calling for service?
Honestly, you should call a professional when the furnace or air conditioner stops working or you suspect there is a problem.
- How much does a new replacement system cost?
The cost of a new system can vary depending on the efficiency of the system.
- When should I close the registers and doors to areas of the home that I don’t use on a regular basis?
You should keep all registers open and the doors should have a gap on the bottom or left open when the room is not in use.
- Why are humidifiers used more in heating than cooling?
Humidifiers are used in the winter because of the low humidity levels outside and the dry heat of the furnace.